Saturday, December 15, 2012

Best Friend Mugs




Katie and I have been best friends since we were 2.  I know what you're probably thinking... "how can anyone have a best friend when they are 2?" Well, I found mine when I was 2 and we've been best friends ever since.

Every year Katie and I make something for one another for Christmas (It comes from the heart that way). This year, with the help of Pinterest, I knew exactly what I was going to make for her.



Katie moved away from New Mexico right after high school.  She went to college in Colorado, did her student teaching in Pennsylvania and moved to Washington there after.  As you can see, we don't see each other very often.  That of course doesn't change anything!  We still talk and text almost every day and I'm even taking the pictures of her wedding in April.  When we do get to hang out, it's like we've never been apart!

I found a great blog post about making these mugs (you can find that here), so I thought I'd give it a try as well!

Here is what you'll need 

2 white coffee mugs (dollar store)
Sharpies (Any colors you want)
An oven
A best friend who lives in another state




Preheat your oven to 350˚F.  Next, and here is the tricky part, draw both your state and you best friend's state onto the mug. TIP: Practice drawing your states on paper first.  I even recommend using an eyeliner pencil to draw the outline on the mug first.  

This is before I washed off my outline.

Next trace the OUTSIDE the eyeliner outline with the sharpie.  I say the outside because I did right on top of the eyeliner and because there is wax in it, the marker kept coming off.  Now, let the sharpie dry.  Next take a damp rag or sponge and wipe away our eyeliner.  Keep going over the lines in sharpie till you have the width you want. 

Here's the sharpie coming off because of the wax of the eyeliner

Now add any finishing touches you want. I added hearts in the locations that we both live, her Seattle and me Albuquerque.  I also drew a dotted line from our heart to the other heart.  Make sure that they look like they join. I also added "Miss You!" to the inside of the mug.  When you turn the mug around, I wrote the quote "Best Friends are the siblings God forgot to give us".  



Now that you have your mugs b-e-a-utiful, pop those suckers into the oven for 45 minutes!  This will seal the marker on the mug so you can wash it over and over without it rubbing off.  Pretty cool huh?!  Just another thing I learned from Pinterest. 

Please excuse my gross oven.  It's in dire need of a cleaning

Once the mugs are done (and cool), keep the mug with your best friend's state and either give them (Katie is going to be in town for Christmas), or mail them the mug with your state on it.  Now every morning when Katie goes to have her tea or coffee, she'll have a little part of me there with her. Awww!

I love how these turned out!  I know Katie will love them too!!



I hope you try making these mugs for you best friend sometime soon!  I can even see these being made for a husband.  You just put the state you are from on one and on the other you put the state he's from.  Instead of saying "Miss You!", you can put "Love You!" then on the back you can put something like, "I found the one my heart loves. -Song of Solomon 3:4 NIV." 

There are just so many ideas that you can do with these.  I would love to hear what you think!!

Happy Holidays!

❤Nicole 

1 comment: